You may already know that fiber rich food diet is essential to treat constipation problem. In general, fiber content is found in plants and dietary fiber is most commonly found in vegetables, fruits, and grains. Dietary fiber you eat will add bulk to your food and will make you feel full. As human body is not capable of digesting fiber and therefore it passes through intestines with ease. Thus will help relieving constipation.
You need to slowly increase intake of fiber in food to achieve best result.
Suggested fibre intake per day:
- For adult males aged 19 to 50 years - 38 grams of fibre
- For women aged 19 to 50 years - 25 grams of fibre
It will serve best results if you can take variety of fiber rich foods such as fruits, vegetables, and grains to gain.
Fiber rich fruits for constipation
Fruits are very good source of fiber and they are soothing to your stomoch. Below are best ones to treat constipation:
- Apples and bananas
- Peaches and pears
- Tangerines, berries, and prunes
- Figs and other dried fruits
Fiber rich vegetables for constipation
Vegetables are good source of fiber and they are easy to digest. Below are best ones to treat constipation:
- Carrots(not baked ones), lettuce, Swiss chard, and spinach
- Vvegetables such as beets, asparagus, mushrooms, pumpkin, and turnips that are tender cooked
- Baked sweet potatoes with skin and also baked regular potato with skin
- Broccoli, squashes, artichokes, and string beans
- Vegetable smoothies of most of the vegetables
Nuts and legumes for constipation
Even in general, nuts should be your regular part of diet as they are source of many benefits. Below listed legumes and nuts are rich in fibre and you should consider eating more of them to treat constipation:
- Most of the legumes - Namely lentils, split peas, kidney beans, lima beans, black beans, and chickpeas
- Many of the nuts and seeds - almonds, pistachios, sunflower seeds, and pecans
Fiber rich grains for constipation
Grains are good source of fiber and you should consider eating more of below ones:
- Most of the cereals, such as oatmeal and farina (Cream of Wheat) - Cereal needs to be hot
- Whole-grain breads and whole-wheat pastas
- Brown rice
- High-fiber cereals, such as shredded wheat, Grape Nuts, Ry Krisp, bran, and puffed wheat
- Bran muffins
Best 6 foods to treat constipation
These foods are traditionally used as home remedy to treat mild and chronic constipation problem from ages. You should be best served if you can try some of these in your diet.
- Kiwi fruit
- Whole grain breads (rye bread is best)
Among the different beans you can pick these for better results - baked beans, pinto beans, black-eyed peas, garbanzo beans, kidney beans, and lima beans
5 foods you should avoid when in constipation
If you are one of those having trouble with constipation, then avoid five foods for faster cure.
- Dairy products
- Red meat